RE: Fire extinguishers

To: <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Fire extinguishers
From: "Chris Sharp" <sharpc@interaxs.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:55:32 -0500
All of this talk of fire extinguishers reminds me of a fire I had in my Jeep
last summer.  I had just replaced the catalytic converter.  The welder did a
botched job of it, leaving welding wires from the wire-feed sticking from
the welds.  Also, there is a rubber fuel vent line that runs from the gas
tank to the vapor canister and of course goes right over and do one side of
the converter.  Anyway, after it got nice and hot, I started smelling
burning rubber.  When I parked the Jeep in front of our house, my wife
noticed fire "dripping" from under the truck!  I grabbed our fire
extinguisher and put the fire out while she called the fire department.
They got there a few minutes later, checked everything out, and hosed off
the engine and underside of the truck.  Everyone was safe and the truck was
easily repaired.  But talk about getting the shakes!  I always keep an
extinguisher handy now.

Chris
85 Jeep GW still on the road