electronic ignition

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: electronic ignition
From: "BJ Martin" <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 05:16:23 PST

This is a running '77 1500. I'm trying to switch from the original Lucas
electronic ignition to a Crane. The car has a checkered past and while the
Lucas ignition is there, the ignition wiring does not look factory.

The main concern I have is that the Crane says that it will only work off a
ballasted coil and I'm not sure mine is set up right. The test indicates
that coil votage should drop below 8 v in the "on" key position but mine
drops to 9.3 v (from 11.5 in the "off" key position). I am further concerned
because there is a finned aluminum block bolted to the air pump bracket -
which I interpret to be a ballast resistor - that is incompletely wired (has
a white wire with blue stripes from the main wiring harness going to one
side and nothing from the other side). It has run like this for the 5 years
I have owned it but I'm afraid that it won't run once I remove the Lucas and
install the Crane.

Any suggestions (note that I'm an electrical idiot)
thanks, brent