Re: Chevy 327 V8-Engined Spitfire

To: dayton carpenter <djcarpen@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Chevy 327 V8-Engined Spitfire
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 23:22:26 -0700
The real deal is to find an all aluminum V8 that will fit in the Spit
engine compartment.  Recently, there have been a rash of offerings from
various companies that all produce over 300 hp.  These all would weigh
about the same as the stock Spitfire engine.

When those engines start showing up in wrecking yards, they will be gone
in the blink of an eye!

The big problem is working on the rear suspension and a differential
that will handle the added power.

Joe

dayton carpenter wrote:

> The big problem with the Chevy 327 V-8 is it will be very heavy compared to
> the Spitfire 1500cc unless you use Aluminum heads. Even so it will be nose
> heavy and will handle like %^$#.  Maybe great for street line shots but
> corners will be another story.  I looked at using the 350 since it has the
> same dimensions as the 327 but more CU Inches and power.  The 327/350 was
> going to be too heavy and long.  I would have to encroach the passenger
> compartment to make it fit.  The Chevy 4.3L was short enough and light
> enough to avoid this problems.
>
> Just my 2 mao (Chinese currency = 2.2 cents)
>
> Dayton
>
> >From: SpitfiresRule@aol.com
> >To: spitfires@autox.team.net
> >Subject: Re: Rover V8-Engined Spitfire
> >Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 22:36:36 EST
> >
> >Anybody wanna see my photos of my experimental Chevy 327 V-8 in a 1965 Spit
> >MK2 (no stretch!)?

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer