Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC

To: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.uofs.edu>
Subject: Re: Fuel Tank Venting - BASIC
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 12:21:52 -0700
If you check, I think you will find a vent tube on the right of the
suction pipe.  This tube points to the right side of the car and is
routed to the charcoal canister.  If your line or canister is plugged up
it will cause this effect.  It will ultimately lead to a starvation for
fuel and/or collapsing your fuel tank.  I'd have it checked out!

Joe

Bill Gunshannon wrote:

> According to Ree Gurley:
> >

> > When opening my fuel filler-cap, I get a major SWOOSH of air going in.  Am I
> > correct in assuming that this swoosh is NOT desirable (and indicative of
> > some blockage in the canisters/lines/restrictors/vapor separator)?
>
> Mine does too.  But I think it is more because Federal Smog specs require
> it rather than any blockage.  I haven't realy looked at that part of my
> 79 Spit (if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!) but I do remember back in 72
> I bought a new MG and there was a "fuel evaporative loss" collection
> system that basicly sucked the fumes out of the gas tank (resulting in the
> SWOOSH you heard) and injected them into the system in an attempt to burn
> them.
>
> Can anyone else confirm/deny this??
>
> bill
>
> --
> Bill Gunshannon          |  de-moc-ra-cy (di mok' ra see) n.  Three wolves
> bill@cs.uofs.edu         |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
> University of Scranton   |
> Scranton, Pennsylvania   |         #include <std.disclaimer.h>

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer