Re: screwed... My solution

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: screwed... My solution
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 21:53:09 -0000
Hi Jeff
Whilst we're on the subject of taps here's a tip, and possibly the reason
your tap broke, always ensure that none of the original bolt is left in the
hole you are going to re-tap, if some is left as you tap the thread the
piece of old bolt will often come loose and act as a wedge, (it gets pulled
round rather than have a new thread cut in it!) jamming the tap solid. I am
a toolmaker and spend a good proportion of my time repairing steel dies for
casting aluminium, these take a pounding and often screws holding the
handles etc break. I have been where you were several times and have found
this to be a big cause of broken taps, of course they will also break all of
their own accord! I hope this can ease your troubles in future.

Graham.