Re: Dash overlay & first drive

To: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dash overlay & first drive
From: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 13:41:43 -0500
In message <000001bf86bd$d0ecbd20$8df0b5d1@hamshack.mpls.uswest.net>you write:

>Greetings, fellow Listers;
>
>First the question, then the fun stuff.
>
>This may have been covered in the past.  My parts car came with one of the
>molded plastic dash overlays (unused) but no glue or instructions.  For
>those that have installed them, what type of glue did you use?  Contact
>cement or weather-strip glue comes to mind.  Also, is seems that it would
>make sense to remove the de-misting vents, tonneau pins, etc. and replace
>them after the overlay was installed.  Is this correct?

   I just put one on last year, you will have to fill the cracks on your
   original dash with RTV silicon (came with my overlay).  You are correct
   that you have to remove the ashtray, vents and tonneau pins.   Infact
   you will find that you will not need to use the RTV silicon to glue it
   because the vent and tonneau pins does a very good job holding it down.
   That what I have done with my overlay and it has been a year and friends
   don't even notice that it's a plastic overlay untill I tell them.

PS:You should consider giving the vents, pins and ashtray a new coat of
   matt black paint while they are off the car.

Dave                                                  |\ |     | |
Dave Chu                                 \/  \/       | /|     | |
Dept. of Elec. & Comp. Eng.                           |/ |     | |
Concordia University              Voice:(514)848-3115   Fax:(514)848-2802
1455 de Maisonneuve W. H961       Email:dave@ece.concordia.ca
Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3G 1M8  http://www.ece.concordia.ca/~dave/addr.html