Re: MOT information from UK listers

To: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: MOT information from UK listers
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 12:24:44 -0000
Hi Tim
I think the rule is that if it is a panel replacement along an original join
line it may be replaced as original if it is a repair it must be seem welded
unless the area is non structural / safety related. It may be that they are
considering this as a body mount point. also I had trouble with a tester who
wanted new sills 100% welded on a Dolomite, I explained that the top which
had been joined in the middle of a panel was seem welded but that the bottom
which was an original joint was spot welded as original. He then went and
got the testers manual and checked that, it was fairly ambiguous with
respect to what could pass and fail, at which point I mentioned that I had
seen a circular from Fiat, something about their cars needing to be repaired
with welds in Exactly the same place as the original weld and exactly the
same number of welds or the structural (dynamic) balance of the cars would
be affected possibly leading to an accident!
I hope this may be of some help to you.

Graham.