Re: Carbon canistor - Thanx

To: "Spitfires@autox.team.net\" \"" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Carbon canistor - Thanx
From: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 21:45:18 -0600
"You see, it's all very clear to me now"

Thanx All
    Before I read all your emails, I found a small paragraph in Haynes about the
Anti Run On Valve,
and y'all definitely confirmed it.
I understand now why my motor was killed.  The "Valve" is stuck open. I can see
how it can "pull"
the fuel from the Jet.  Quite a learning experience. It also doesn't help when
your book is limited in
information and wrong in other parts.  Did you know that this book says to set
the timing to 2 ATDC
for a 1500?   Doesn't say that is the ones with electronic ignition. My 74 is
points type ignition. You
should have seen me trying to set the timing :-)    Another book gave me the
proper setting of
10 BTDC.

Another note I will make is that the valve seems to open up to the outside
allowing the canistor to
breath freah air.  This makes the Gas Tank and float chamber to be at
atmospheric
pressure.  The
canistor can never have a vacuum on it during normal running  EVEN though the
top
middle hose
has a slight vacuum on it from the connection to the TEE that goes to the valve
cover and Carb.

NOW get this,  My bottom hose that is suppose to go to the "VALVE"  was
connected
to a
plugged pipe. This would certainly created a vacuum.  I suspect this is why the
motor ran
rough in the first place.    Any thoughts on that?

WELL   THANKS A BUNCH !

I beleive the 74 will be on the road this weekend.  Got Title, registration and
insurance last week.
Finishing up the carpet tomorrow and will have the seats in by the weekend.
Will get inspection this Monday.

Thats all I have left to do!

THnx
Pat