Re: wheel wobble woes

To: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Subject: Re: wheel wobble woes
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 21:48:43 -0000
Hi Jeff
If you put your (someone's) foot on the brake whilst wobbling the wheel if
the wobbling stops it is the wheel bearing that is loose. How it works is
the calliper is solidly mounted and the pads grip the rotor (disc) tight and
lock out the wheel bearing. To adjust, remove the cap in the centre of the
hub, remove the split pin, adjust the nut tighter under light pressure from
a socket wrench until movement stops then back off about 1 flat until a new
pin will go through the hole some models have 2 holes in the stub axle to
allow a greater choice of fitting. That's the official method, my method is
to set about 5lbft on the torque wrench and tighten to that most people
(myself included) know this is the wrong method for taper bearings but it
works better than the correct method. The play allowed by backing off the
nut is supposed to be taken up by heat expansion I have not found this to be
so. YMMV. If after tightening the bearing you pull on the wheel (always top
and bottom or you will be testing the steering system as well) and it moves
with a clunk this indicates that the stub axle is worn usually by a the rear
bearing and road thump causing wear on the underside of the stub. Guess what
that means!! It would be most unusual for the rotor to be loose on the hub
(the four bolts, not nuts!)

Graham.

Ps if using someone else's foot on the pedal please don't remove it from the
rest of their body!!