Re: Heat resistant padding

To: "'Spit list'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Heat resistant padding
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 16:27:37 -0500
At 05:50 AM 2/17/00 -0600, Craig Smith wrote:

>Hey everybody !
>Question,
>I bought some of the stuff and it has an aluminum side and a green felt
>padding stuff on the other. I am going to use it in the interior and on the
>inside firewall of my 71 Spit.
>The main problem is HOW DO YOU CUT THIS SH** ?
>I have tried a razor blade, scissors, and a old beer can.
>This is some tough stuff
>Any ideas ?

Craig,

   I'm in the process of putting some insulation down on my 75 Bricklin
that I'm restoring.  I've found the same problem that you describe.  I
borrowed a pair of large heave metal shears from an upholster friend of
mine, and they wouldn't cut the stuff.  What I found was, my wife has a
couple of pairs of scissors that I'd describe as cheap looking, compared
to the old fashioned heavy metal ones.  They have a very thin, almost
flimsey looking cutting legs and plastic handles.  I think the legs are
either an aluminumn aloy or possibly stainless steel.  These scissors
don't feel very heavy either.  But the DO cut this stuff.

Hope this helps.

John

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org