Re:

To: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Subject: Re:
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:48:41 -0700
If the engine number has been machined off, the next best thing to look
for is the numbers stamped on the head.

If the number is 28139, it is a 1500 head.  If it is 515573, it is from
a 1300.  There may be other numbers that identify different versions of
the heads, but these are what I have identified so far.  Let me know
what yours is!

Joe

> Hi List
>
> Does anyone know of an easy (-ish) way to determine whether a Spit engine is
> a 1300 or a 1500 externally?  I know the 1500 basically has a longer stroke,
> so there should be some sort of external indication of this surely.  I'm not
> keen on pulling the head off to measure the bore/stroke of the cylinders.
> My car is a RHD and I'm pretty sure it is of British market heritage, if not
> immediately shipped to New Zealand.  This is the car that I have previously
> mentioned has an engine with a FH prefix.  This was stated on the ownership
> papers, but is not conclusive evidence to the engines identity as the engine
> was reconditioned two years ago and the engine number was ground off
> (apparently common practise these days).
>
> Any info would be appreciated.
>
> Regards
>
> Paul.
>
> PS:  does anyone know if the Mk IV and 1500 were offered concurrently during
> the transition between models?  Or when the Mk !V was definitely no longer
> produced.
>
> Paul McKey
> Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health
> Massey University
> Private Bag 11-222
> Palmerston North
> NEW ZEALAND