RE: Camospit

To: "Spitfire List (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Camospit
From: "McKey, Paul" <P.J.McKey@massey.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:20:56 +1300
Hi List

Does anyone know of an easy (-ish) way to determine whether a Spit engine is
a 1300 or a 1500 externally?  I know the 1500 basically has a longer stroke,
so there should be some sort of external indication of this surely.  I'm not
keen on pulling the head off to measure the bore/stroke of the cylinders.
My car is a RHD and I'm pretty sure it is of British market heritage, if not
immediately shipped to New Zealand.  This is the car that I have previously
mentioned has an engine with a FH prefix.  This was stated on the ownership
papers, but is not conclusive evidence to the engines identity as the engine
was reconditioned two years ago and the engine number was ground off
(apparently common practise these days).

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Paul.

PS:  does anyone know if the Mk IV and 1500 were offered concurrently during
the transition between models?  Or when the Mk !V was definitely no longer
produced.

Paul McKey
Institute of Food, Nutrition and Human Health
Massey University
Private Bag 11-222
Palmerston North
NEW ZEALAND