Not enough hours in the day...

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not enough hours in the day...
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 22:46:08 -0800
Does anyone else feel this way?  Today, I spent most of my spare time on my
Spitfire, bead blasting and re-painting my horns, getting them to work
(after some strange false starts) and swapping out my tranny cover with a
proper Mk3 style so I can have functional back-up lights.  Unfortunately,
the back up lights still don't work -- and now something in the circuit is
blowing the fuse, which also knocks out the turn signals.  This simply won't
do.  I can't be blowing fuses every time I put into reverse!  The fuse in
there was a 17amp continuous, 35 amp/blow variety.  I suppose that I'd
better make sure that that's correct for the turn signals/backup lights.

I know that the PO replaced the wiring harness at some point during his
twenty year ownership, but it looks as though the wire loom (in the boot at
least) is not correct.  According to my service manual, the hot leads to the
back up lights should be green/brown, whereas the wires leading into the
bulb units are white/red.  ??

Now I've got a proper green/brown coming off the back-up switch on the
transmission -- and a proper green wire feeding it power, but after the
green brown disappears past the electrical tape binding of the harness, I
can't seem to find where the green/brown leaves off and the white/red wires
come into play.

I think if I had unlimited time, I could work on this car 'round the clock.
Oh well, two small victories today at least -- fixing a broken front turn
signal lamp and getting the dual-note, original horns to sound off properly.
At least now if my single line brake system fails, I can at least honk at
pedestrians to warn them I'm coming.

Cheers,

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"