Re: Valve seats

To: jmcneal@ohms.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve seats
From: RC1NUKE@aol.com
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:46:02 EST
It's pretty obvious when the car is running on three cylinders. The first
thing I suspected was bad spark. Trying to troubleshoot something that only
happens for 30 seconds or so at odd intervals (in electronic TS called an
"intermittent problem") was the main problem. After figuring it out to not be
an ignition problem I got lucky one day and was able to get the valve cover
off and actually see the valve stuck open.
The real lucky part was being able to stop the engine and get the plug out
and see the edge of the valve seat protruding into the combustion chamber.
BTW talking to my machinist he recommends staying with the steel valve
guides, says the bronze ones wear too fast.