Oil Filter Defeated: New Problem

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Oil Filter Defeated: New Problem
From: "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:14:43 -0800
Hi everyone.  My local Brit garage/parts depot had the 5/8" to 3/4"
adapter -- AND a couple of oil filters which brand name I can't recall, but
they're dark blue and made in the U.K.  Terrific.

The engine oil is still drained however, as I seek to slow down a fairly
nasty oil leak by replacing the gasket on the oil pan.  I noticed that one
of the bolts is missing (one of the two center bolts in the rear of the pan)
and the threads in the block are stripped.

I decided that yes, I must be anal-retentive as I wiped the remaining sludge
out of the bottom of the oil sump and made sure that all old gasket material
was completely removed.

I'm trying to figure out what to do about that stripped out thread in the
block.  IS there anything I can do?  Or are the other surrounding bolts
enough to get the job done.  I've never used a tap and die set in my life if
that's one of my options, but I suppose I'd be willing to learn how if
that's the only solution to my problem.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff in San Diego
'67 RHD Spitfire Mk3 aka "Mrs. Jones"