Re: Oil filter score against Jeff: 4-0

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil filter score against Jeff: 4-0
From: Ryan Smith <shmitty990@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 13:40:54 -0800 (PST)
Just a word on NAPA filters.  Depending on your local
jobber, they may not stock a certain package type.
Just ask for a 1312 filter; the 55- in front denotes a
packaging type.  and yes and adapter should come with
every new NAPA gold filter (1312).  Not sure about the
silver (21312).  Alternately, assuming this is the
correct filter you could go to a Wix distrubutor and
ask for a 51312 filter.

Ryan Smith
resident NAPA expert and little else

--- Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net> wrote:

> Jeff,
>   I recently bought a # 551312 from NAPA - it had
> the 3/4" x 5/8"
> adapter in the box with the filter - may have been a
> fluke, though.
> Call up NAPA near you, and ask them to look in one
> of the boxes for
> you...  The filter fits my '63 OK (already had the
> adapter), but I
> haven't actually put the one that came with the
> filter on the block to
> check it...  looks the same.
>
> good luck,
> Peter Ficklin
> '63 & '68 Spits
> Fresno, CA
> - - - - -
>
> Jeff McNeal wrote:
> >
> > I just made my third and fourth visits to auto
> parts stores in search of a
> > spin on oil filter for my '67 Mk3.
> >
> > I left both NAPA and PEP BOYS empty handed.  The
> problem appears to be with
> > my male/mail thread adapter.  It appears to be
> 5/8" to 5/8" -- and NOBODY
> > seems to stock an oil filter with a 5/8" thread.
> The world of oil filters
> > is apparently 3/4".
> >
> > The filter that was on the car is a Unipart whose
> number doesn't even show
> > up in the NAPA cross reference chart -- that's how
> old it is.  This also may
> > have something to do with my Spitfire being an
> English home market car.
> >
> > So what's the consensus?  Where do I find an oil
> filter with a 5/8" thread
> > or a new adapter that goes from 5/8" to 3/4"?
> This is beginning to drive me
> > batty.
> >
> > Much obliged.
> >
> > Jeff in San Diego