Re: Spitfire and Midget Engine

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire and Midget Engine
From: "kab@bradsk98" <kab@bradsk98.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 17:20:52 -0000
AFAIK, the casing is the same; this engine/gearbox combination is the same
as that in the Triumph Dolemite/Toledo. The gearbox was modified for use in
the Morris Marina and when BL put the 1500 Dolemite engine in the Midget the
same gearbox went with it. No idea about ratios tho'.

David Bradshaw

Bill,
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the Midget 1500 gearbox
different from that of the Spitfire.  I think it has to do with the
space differences in the two cars for mounting the gearbox.

Regards,
Joe

Davies William-qswi646 wrote:

> > I'm going to look at a 71 Spitfire this afternoon.  I've been
> > looking at the
> > VTR site to get some info before I go.  I read that the Mk 3
> > Spitfire has a
> > 1296 cc engine.  I know my 74 Midget has a 1275 cc engine.  Are these
> > basically the same engine?  Are the transmissions the same?
>
> No on both counts I'm afraid. When the Midget and Spitfire were
introduced,
> BMC (which incorporated MG) and Standard-Triumph were two distinct
> organisations. Logically, both used their own designs of engine and
gearbox.
> The only commonalities on the cars were in items such as lighting units
(eg,
> front indicators) which came from a common third party supplier - Lucas in
> this case.
>         Through a series of industry mergers and name changes, these
> companies became part of British Leyland, and in 1974/5, the engine and
> transmission was commonised between the Midget and Spitfire. Only 1500cc
> Midgets have the Triumph based engine and gearbox.
>         Hope this helps,
>                 Bill Davies.

>                             This Message sent by:
>     ^================^
>    /                  \     William Davies
>   /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
>  __ __________________ __
> /  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
> \__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
> |    A \____||____/ A    |  1959 Herald 948 Saloon
> | =  H              H  = |  1960 Herald 948 Saloon Export
> \________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
>  | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
>  |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
>                             1959 Standard Atlas Pickup

-- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer