Re: Clutch question

To: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch question
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 22:47:55 -0500
Terry L. Thompson wrote:

> When shifting into reverse, I occasionally get a "grinding" or a feel of
> gear misaligning (like trying to go into 4th when you're sitting still).
> It's like something is not meshing.
>
> It's only occassionally. Sometimes it goes right into reverse with no
> problem, other times it makes a sound like it started to object to going
> into reverse, but then it goes in. Only rarely (one out of five times?) it
> gets that grinding sound/feel.
>
> Letting the car drift a bit, or puting the car into first gear seems to
> allow me to put the car into reverse, alleviating the "grind" that occured
> moments before.
>
> This has been typical since the first time I drove the car, and I replaced
> my clutch disk and pressure plate about 2 years ago (I don't remember if I
> changed the throw-out bearing. But I think it was fine.) It doesn't happen
> in any of the forward gears (unless you don't push the clutch pedal in far
> enough).
>
> Advertisements for the late model spit say "Synchromesh on all FORWARD
> gears". Is this grinding when going into reverse gear because it's not
> syncroed? Does this happen in everyones' syncroed spit? Or is this a sign
> that my throw-out bearing/clutch plate is in need of replacing? Bent/broken
> syncro?
>
> Terry L. Thompson
> '76 Spit 1500 (running about 6 months without any major repairs. It's
> making me nervous.)
> Maryland
terry, reverse is a non-synchro gear.   going into first before engaging
reverse may eliminate this grinding.  the first gear engagement slows
the gear speed and allow the reverse idler wheel, the gear that changes
the direction of the output (main) shaft, to engage with a minimal
amount of strain.  ted
--
Ted Schumacher
TS Imported Automotive