Clutch question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch question
From: "Terry L. Thompson" <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 1999 18:07:03 -0500
When shifting into reverse, I occasionally get a "grinding" or a feel of
gear misaligning (like trying to go into 4th when you're sitting still).
It's like something is not meshing.

It's only occassionally. Sometimes it goes right into reverse with no
problem, other times it makes a sound like it started to object to going
into reverse, but then it goes in. Only rarely (one out of five times?) it
gets that grinding sound/feel.

Letting the car drift a bit, or puting the car into first gear seems to
allow me to put the car into reverse, alleviating the "grind" that occured
moments before.

This has been typical since the first time I drove the car, and I replaced
my clutch disk and pressure plate about 2 years ago (I don't remember if I
changed the throw-out bearing. But I think it was fine.) It doesn't happen
in any of the forward gears (unless you don't push the clutch pedal in far
enough).

Advertisements for the late model spit say "Synchromesh on all FORWARD
gears". Is this grinding when going into reverse gear because it's not
syncroed? Does this happen in everyones' syncroed spit? Or is this a sign
that my throw-out bearing/clutch plate is in need of replacing? Bent/broken
syncro?

Terry L. Thompson
'76 Spit 1500 (running about 6 months without any major repairs. It's
making me nervous.)
Maryland