Re: Helicoil advice?

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Helicoil advice?
From: "Tom Shirley" <tshirley@vol.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:43:21 -0500
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
To: Douglas Frank <frank@zk3.dec.com>

> It works especially well on aluminum because the new threads are steel
> and will not strip as readily as aluminum (or other soft metals).

One must be careful or they'll run into the problem I had once. I was
running my Vintage Formula Vee at the Walter Mitty Challenge. I had warmed
the engine and decided to try a colder plug. When I changed the plugs, one
of them had a helicoil in it. The helicoil came out with the spark plug. I
kept trying to screw the new plug in and couldn't figure out what the heck
was wrong. One of my crew noticed the helicoil on the plug. I had to go buy
a kit and install a new helicoil. Cost me a 30 minute practice session.

The rest of the weekend was great. I finished second.

The moral of the story, be careful with helicoiled spark plug threads. They
may come out when the engine is hot. The helicoil works great on anything
that doesn't require a lot of removal/installation stress.

Tom Shirley Sale Creek, TN
99 Mazda Miata (Bad Dog Racing)
78 Triumph Spitfire (for sale)
http://www.geocities.com/baddogracing/