Re: Oil Pressure

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:02:47 -0800 (PST)

the advantage to a mechanical gage, is that it will give instant
response to any changes in the system.  with an electrical one
the only advantage is that you don't have high pressure oil
routed into the passenger area.  also, an electrical gage system
is a lot more expensive to put together.

as far as attaching the system, you can go to the take off from
the block where the warning light is attached and thread in a
T-fitting to get both a gage and a dummy light.  however, if you
fit a mechanical gage you really don't need the light any more.
but, if you're like me, i like lights and switches and gadgets,
and more light looks cool (personal preference).

--- A666K@aol.com wrote:

> Two questions:
> A. When attaching an oil pressure gauge to a car (say a
> spitfire?!), which is
> preferable
>   I. a sender on the block with wires to an electric gauge, or
>   II. an oil line to the gauge itself (mechanical type)
>   What are the dis/advantage of each design.
> B. If I was to go with a mechanical type gauge, where could a
> tap a line,
> assuming         that I want to retain the external oil line
> and oil lamp.
> TIA,
> Avi

=====