Re: return of Excess Crancase Pressure thread...

To: HD883HUGGR@aol.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: return of Excess Crancase Pressure thread...
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 11:49:17 -0700
Scott,
You basically have it "dead on".  However, the pressure doesn't bleed
off so easily at the top of the valve cover as it does at the crankcase
end of the block.  This is why the lower port is very necessary.

One other option that I haven't tried is to drill out the port on the
block (right side of the engine under the exhaust manifold) where there
is an angled protrusion serving no obvious purpose.  This is where the
blow-by pipe was attached on early Spitfire engines.  When the closed
breathing system was introduced, the casting was plugged and later
eliminated.

Actually Electric Fuel pumps are not very expensive and in fact usually
cost less then the fuel pressure regulator you would need to go with
them.

Regards,
Joe

HD883HUGGR@aol.com wrote:

> Hi Gang -- me again.  I finally got a chance to look at Tom Shirley's page
> with Joe Curry's tip regarding excess crankcase pressure after removing
> emissions garbage.  Here's the meat of his sage advice (reproduced without
> permission -- hope that's okay, Joe & Tom):
>
>     "If the car has an electric fuel pump, the port on the block makes a
> great place to mount a blow-by relief port. Fabricate a cover plate with a
> pipe the same size as the one on the valve cover. Connect a hose to this pipe
> and bend it upward to the top of the valve cover and then downward into a
> vented catch bottle. Pressure being built up in the crankcase will be vented
> into the catch bottle trapping any oil that is carried with it. Most oil
> escaping the block will be trapped in the hose and run back down into the oil
> pan.
>     "If the hose from the valve cover has been disconnected from the
> carburetor, relief valve or carbon canister (as applicable), it can be tied
> into the catch tank using a "T" fitting as used on some variations of this
> engine. The carbon canister makes an excellent catch tank if it is no longer
> being used in its intended configuration."
>
>     Being mechanically illiterate, I'm a tad confused... currently I have a
> mechanical fuel pump.  I have an aluminum valve cover with a straight hose
> coming out of the valve cover and into the Weber carb with no PCV valve that
> I can see.  So do I need to replace the fuel pump in order to try Joe's
> system?  Or does the crankcase breathe up into the valve cover enough that a
> T from the VC-to-Carb hose might do the trick?  Or is there another place I
> can vent the crankcase?  Help!
>     As always, many thanks for the assistance.
> Scott (& Hobbs, the smoke-breathing dragon...)

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer