return of Excess Crancase Pressure thread...

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: return of Excess Crancase Pressure thread...
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 12:55:32 EST
Hi Gang -- me again.  I finally got a chance to look at Tom Shirley's page
with Joe Curry's tip regarding excess crankcase pressure after removing
emissions garbage.  Here's the meat of his sage advice (reproduced without
permission -- hope that's okay, Joe & Tom):

    "If the car has an electric fuel pump, the port on the block makes a
great place to mount a blow-by relief port. Fabricate a cover plate with a
pipe the same size as the one on the valve cover. Connect a hose to this pipe
and bend it upward to the top of the valve cover and then downward into a
vented catch bottle. Pressure being built up in the crankcase will be vented
into the catch bottle trapping any oil that is carried with it. Most oil
escaping the block will be trapped in the hose and run back down into the oil
pan.
    "If the hose from the valve cover has been disconnected from the
carburetor, relief valve or carbon canister (as applicable), it can be tied
into the catch tank using a "T" fitting as used on some variations of this
engine. The carbon canister makes an excellent catch tank if it is no longer
being used in its intended configuration."

    Being mechanically illiterate, I'm a tad confused... currently I have a
mechanical fuel pump.  I have an aluminum valve cover with a straight hose
coming out of the valve cover and into the Weber carb with no PCV valve that
I can see.  So do I need to replace the fuel pump in order to try Joe's
system?  Or does the crankcase breathe up into the valve cover enough that a
T from the VC-to-Carb hose might do the trick?  Or is there another place I
can vent the crankcase?  Help!
    As always, many thanks for the assistance.
Scott (& Hobbs, the smoke-breathing dragon...)