RE: to those autox-ing spits

To: "James Libecco" <jfl@neoucom.edu>, "spit" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: to those autox-ing spits
From: "James Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:55:20 -0600
Jim,

As to gearing... with the '76 you've got the tallest rear diff offered, so
the only way to get more speed is either a) raise the "redline" on the
engine (balance and lighten within the rules) or b) run taller tires.

As to induction...

I'm having to consult my '98 book (the '99 rules are in the tow-beast)...

Under the 1998 rules, section 14.10c, "Carburetors, fuel injection,
intercoolers and intake manifolds are unrestricted."  I don't recall seeing
this change for 1999 and I haven't seen a proposed change in Sportscar for
2000.

Here in Texas Region (Dallas area) the DSP Spitfire that typically comes out
runs twin Weber 40 DCOEs.  On Hoosier autocrossers he's about 3 seconds (on
a 70 second course) faster than my '76 DP/DM car.

I say DP/DM as the car was prepped to DP 1992 rules... the single DCOE
knocks me to DM.  And I'm running Goodyear FC takeoffs... not the optimum.

At the large site that SCCA uses here I've also had to run 3rd... you just
get used to slamming it up and bringing it back to 2nd for the tight
corners.  Make sure your clutch hydraulics are all in good shape and
disengaging properly.  And be ready to rebuild the trans after the season is
over.

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas TX