Re: New Exhaust System

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: New Exhaust System
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 14:39:36 -0700
Bob,
If the answer to #2 is, "You have an exhaust leak."  Then likely that is
also responsible for the detected popping and seeming backfire.

However, Both timing and carb. adjustment can cause this.  I noticed
that after moving to Arizona and readjusting my carbs, the majority of
the popping that I once had went away.

Good Luck,
Joe

Bob Norway wrote:

> Fellow Spitsters,
>
> I just finished installing a Monza exhaust system and header on my '76
> Spit. It is definitely louder than the original equipment!! However, I
> have some questions.
>
> 1. When backing off the throttle during a shift I get backfiring. Is
> this indicative of timing or carburetor tuning?
>
> 2. When at idle, or even at cruise, a lot of noise seems to be coming
> from the engine compartment, as if the header had a leak. I have
> inspected for same and been unable to find any leaks. Is this normal due
> to the seemingly thinner construction of the header? The header is
> welded to the exhaust pipe, so it is not a gasket problem there.
>
> Also, has anyone any experience using the Coverlay Dash pad cover?
> Results? comments?
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Bob Norway
> Rockledge, Florida
> Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
> ICQ# 3752712
> ***************************
> Blackbird Association
> Member #1263
> ***************************
> Charter Member
> TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
> http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
> Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
> 432 AMS/Autopilot
> ***************************
> Member Udorn VFW Post 10249
> Sawadee Home Page http://www.khonkaen.com/vfw/index.htm
> ***************************
> Life Member Air Force Association
> http://www.afa.org
> ***************************
> Life Member Air Force Sergeant Association
> http://www.afsahq.org/
> SpitList
> 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
> FM43376UO - Daily Driver