Re: a thought on whitewalls.......

To: Rick Feibusch <rfeibusch@loop.com>
Subject: Re: a thought on whitewalls.......
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 07:32:44 -0700
I don't ever remember seeing a Spit with whitewalls back then.  All the
ones I remember had blackwall tires.  The more innovative owners were
putting Radial tires (still blackwalls) on their Spits and constantly
having to tell others, "No, the tires are not low... That is the way
they are supposed to look!"

Joe

Rick Feibusch wrote:

> Jim -
>
> Thin stripe whitewalls were first introduced on the 1957 Cad Eldorado
> Broughm, Italian bodied 4-door pillarless. They became an available option
> on the 1958 Corvette and as an aftermarket replacement as a US Royal Master
> in about 1960.  The first production car fitted with thin stripe whitewalls
> was the 1960 1/2 Corvair Monza coupe.  All American cars were fitted with
> thin stripes by the 1952 model year in late 1961. The British used the
> wider whitewalls through about 1963 then changed as well.  I remember E
> Type Jags, early MGBs, Mk II Midgets and TR4s with wide whitewalls. I don't
> remember Spits with wide ones but I do remember early cars with thin stripe
> whitewalls and full hubcaps that were usually driven by pretty little girls
> without a clue.
>
> Cheers,
> Rick Feibusch
> Venice, CA

> >Folks,
> >Looking for opinions here,  grin.
> >What's anyone think about the historicaly accuracy of wide whitewalls on
> >a '66?
> >
> >I don't remember that time that well,  seems to me like there were some
> >around back then or was it much earlier?
> >
> >Jim

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer