Re: a thought on whitewalls.......

To: Jim <jdeatsc1@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: a thought on whitewalls.......
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:22:23 -0400 ()
On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, Jim wrote:

> Folks,
> Looking for opinions here,  grin.
> What's anyone think about the historicaly accuracy of wide whitewalls on
> a '66?
>
> I don't remember that time that well,  seems to me like there were some
> around back then or was it much earlier?

Sorry I don't have exact dimensions handy. However, BEFORE about 1963 or
so, the optional whitewall Dunlops on Heralds were fairly wide -- maybe 2"
or so. But from about 1963, which would include virtually all Spitfires
sold in the US, the whitewalls were narrowed down to about 1", give or
take a bit. Towards the end of the 1960s, those whitewalls narrowed still
further, to maybe 3/4" or less. All these changes more or less paralleled
whitewall widths from other US tire manufacturers.

If anyone really cares, let me know and I will accurately measure some
original Dunlop Gold Seal 5.20-13 bias whitewalls in various widths! :-)

Advertising trivia: a close examination of some of the original US-version
sales brochures for the Triumph Spitfire (using, I believe prototype #2 --
412 VC in Signal Red) have whitewalls airbrushed or otherwise added to
the much-retouched photograph!

--Andy