Re: a thought on whitewalls.......

To: Jim <jdeatsc1@rochester.rr.com>
Subject: Re: a thought on whitewalls.......
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 07:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
Jim -

Thin stripe whitewalls were first introduced on the 1957 Cad Eldorado
Broughm, Italian bodied 4-door pillarless. They became an available option
on the 1958 Corvette and as an aftermarket replacement as a US Royal Master
in about 1960.  The first production car fitted with thin stripe whitewalls
was the 1960 1/2 Corvair Monza coupe.  All American cars were fitted with
thin stripes by the 1952 model year in late 1961. The British used the
wider whitewalls through about 1963 then changed as well.  I remember E
Type Jags, early MGBs, Mk II Midgets and TR4s with wide whitewalls. I don't
remember Spits with wide ones but I do remember early cars with thin stripe
whitewalls and full hubcaps that were usually driven by pretty little girls
without a clue.

Cheers,
Rick Feibusch
Venice, CA