"Sputtering" after prolonged low speeds

To: "'List - Team.net Spitfire'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: "Sputtering" after prolonged low speeds
From: "Winnie Olmer" <who@sover.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 20:56:17 -0400
I live down 5 miles of dirt road. I take it slow whenever I'm on a gravel
road. The car runs fine until I get to the pavement and accelerate. It then
sputters and "bucks". After a quarter mile or so all is well. I can cruise
at high speeds. I can stop for traffic lights and then smoothly accelerate
through the gears. If I'm in stop and go traffic, stopped at the Dunkin
Donuts take out line or a traffic signal for an extended period, I get the
same symptoms. Seems like the trouble occurs when I've spent a "prolonged"
(longer than the average traffic light) at low RPM, that the trouble occurs.
Could the fuel pump be in-efficient at low RPM and the float bowl gets low?
Any ideas?

Thanks
Winnie

79 Spit