Re: Aftermarket Ignitions

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Aftermarket Ignitions
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 17:36:02 -0700
Andy,
I "have" noticed that Spits have a propensity to go through points more
frequently that most American cars of the same vintage.  However, that
said; It really depends on what you are comparing it against.  I read a
while back (and I'll have to rummage around and see if I can find the
source) that the Delco distributor is worse than most.  I'll let you
know the source if I can find it.

Regards,
Joe

P.S. My point was that the best of points type distributors is not
nearly as reliable as an electronic ignition. (otherwise, all the cars
would still have points)!  :)

Andrew Mace wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > It is a generally accepted act that Spitfire Delco Distributors "Eat"
> > points....
>
> Funny, Joe, all these years and I've never noticed that! I have, however,
> noticed that then and now there were/are some real CR*P sets of points
> out there, including those that come in more pieces than a jigsaw puzzle
> and almost any set of points that isn't of the "ventilated" style.
> Somewhere I have filed away the part number for the Blue Streak points,
> which are pretty darned good, as are Echlin and maybe a couple others.
> (Bosch used to sell --repackaged from someone else, I suspect -- a nice
> set of ventilated points, but I don't know if they still do.)
>
> Now, I did once have a 1976 Saab 99 that "ate" points like candy....
>
> --Andy

> * Andrew Mace, President and                *
> *   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
> * Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
> * amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer