Re: Your air shock for spitfire article

To: "Bradley D. Richardson" <brichard@us.oracle.com>
Subject: Re: Your air shock for spitfire article
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 10:28:20 -0400
Brad,

No, I've never considered air shocks for the front because the style of
the shock, with its coil spring platform is so Spitfire specific, there
would be little chance of finding something "off the shelf". And, quite
frankly, there would be little need to add extra support to that end.
the coils do a fine job. If you need more lift on the front, try using
V/B's or TriumphTune's uprated springs (with the 7/8" spacer to restore
level ride height)

It's the under-engineered rear spring that causes the sagging problem at
the rear. The one thing you never mentioned, and I generally hate to
even bring it up, is how much you weigh. I weigh close to 200 lbs. If
you look at the simple math, the car has a curb weight of about 1800
lbs. With me in the car that's about 2000 lbs. My weight on just the
driver's side represents about 1/10th of the total curb weight. I've
never tried it, but I'm guessing that If I drove around with a 200 lbs
sack of sand in the passenger seat, the car would be more level, albeit
much closer to the gound.

I use the air adjustable shocks on both my autocrosser and driver (one
Monroe, one Gabriel) to add extra resistance to the typical Spit sag.
These shocks are designed to add weigh carrying capacity (extra
passengers, luggage, towing a trailer). They are not designed to raise
and lower the end to which they are applied. I had one guy email me
about using a set to lift his off-road vehicle a few more inches--go
figure!

I hope that helps. If you have any more questions, feel free to write
back.

Charlie B.