argh. Almost there, but no dice, and she still reads cold

To: "Spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: argh. Almost there, but no dice, and she still reads cold
From: "Triumph TR 7" <tr7@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:59:42 -0500
Well, fired up the car, and another gasket decided to blow. This time it was
on top of the water elbow, just below the plastic overflow hose and radiator
cap. Water was spewin. The gasket was ripped, and didn't look so great.

Is(this is a '79) this gasket in quesiton supposed to be ultra-paper thin?
It doesn't seem consistent with the significantly thicker gasket where the
themostat is at. Either which way, I'm screwed 'til I get anotehr gasket, so
I have to make some calls. One of the bolts didn't want to act all "tighty",
but with another bolt(longer one mind you) it worked just fine. I'm
considering tightening a nut under there for extra assurance.

The temprature guage still reads cold, even after all of this. It's just a
wire that runs from the guage(and I double checked the wires, but haven't
done a continuity test yet) that grounds out. How does this work? Is there a
small test I can do that would make the temprature read high? I have an old
one and a new one to dink around with. Or should I just run a brand new wire
from teh guage to the engine block?

I'm still stumped on that one.

Wonder if I should just make my own gasket.
Kids love the rich taste of web content!
http://british.nerp.net