Re: argh. Almost there, but no dice, and she still reads cold

To: Triumph TR 7 <tr7@primenet.com>, Spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: argh. Almost there, but no dice, and she still reads cold
From: Phil Johnson <gt6_man@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 07:55:30 +0100 (BST)

--- Triumph TR 7 <tr7@primenet.com> wrote:
<snip>
> The temprature guage still reads cold, even after
> all of this. It's just a
> wire that runs from the guage(and I double checked
> the wires, but haven't
> done a continuity test yet) that grounds out. How
> does this work? Is there a
> small test I can do that would make the temprature
> read high? I have an old
> one and a new one to dink around with. Or should I
> just run a brand new wire
> from teh guage to the engine block?
>
> I'm still stumped on that one.

The wire from the sender goes directly to the fuel
gauge. There is a positive feed to the fuel and
temperature gauges from a voltage stabiliser(found on
the back of the speedo), I think the wire is a Light
Green with a green tracer on it coming from the 'I'
terminal on the stabiliser. Does your fuel gauge work?
If it does not, then it would sound like the voltage
stabiliser is knackered, or is not connected
correctly. The supply to the stabiliser is a green
wire to the 'B' terminal.

You can check whether the gauges work by connecting
them directly to the car battery for a very short
time, ie enough to see if the needle moves, as they
are not polarity sensitve, but it is not normally the
gauge that does not work.

The best bet to me sounds like double checking the
wiring to the gauge and then the voltage stabiliser,
and then the sender unit - have fun!

===
Phil Johnson
Club Triumph (UK) Spitfire/GT6 Secretary
http://www.club.triumph.org.uk/

66 Spitfire4 Mk2 FC73949
68 GT6 Mk1 KC13299