Re: Triumph Spitfire Conversions

To: "Craig Smith" <CraigS@iewc.com>,
Subject: Re: Triumph Spitfire Conversions
From: "Andrew R. Lindberg" <andylindberg@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:32:32 -0500
>IMHO (the overdrive is) more fun to drive than a
>5-speed - you can switch it in and out without lifing off the gas,
>without having to use the clutch, just by moving your finger, but
>without feeling like you're driving a car with an automatic gearbox.

I've always driven my overdrive like this, switching it w/o using the
clutch.  But then yesterday, while my GT6's bodily fluids were being
replaced, a fellow overdrive-equipped car owner (TR4A) suggested that I use
the clutch to minimize wear and tear on the unit.  Does anybody know whether
it makes a difference?

Andy Lindberg (GT6 in Minnesota)

p.s.  My opinion on the 5-speed vs OD debate is that the GT6's tranny (not
its OD) is inadequate for the power it is transmitting and maybe a 5-speed
conversion could give me more hope of long-term viability.