Re: Cheap MIG Welders

To: "James Carpenter" <james.carpenter@jccsystems.swinternet.co.uk>,
Subject: Re: Cheap MIG Welders
From: "Paul McMullen" <paul@bessacarr.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:46:21 +0100
James,

I had a Clark 90 before it got half-inched from the garage, it was slightly
underpowered for the job so the 100 should be better. The 150 amp one I
bought to replace it (Suretool or something)  is better but only has 4
settings for the power so getting it right is hard to do initially. If you
can fit a variable control it would make welding easier.
Points to note: some of the cheaper MIGs use the little disposable
cylinders - it  costs a fortune to weld using those (about £10 each) and
they always run out just when you need them. Far better to pay more in the
first place and get one that takes refillable cylinders with a proper
calibrated gauge. My local ironmonger (as recommended by the shop that sold
the MIG) supplied my cylinder plus first fill of CO2 for £30 and charges £10
for a refill, admittedly it looks like an old fire extinguisher but it lasts
for absolute ages (approx. 1 fill/year).
You also need a full face helmet, the hand-held mask supplied with most MIGs
is only of use in tight corners, my local car accessory shop sold me one for
£12. You can take the coloured glass out, leaving the plain glass in, and
use it when grinding/cutting metal. Adjust it so that you only need to nod
your head to bring it down and you can use both hands to position torch etc.
Other stuff: decent gauntlets, cap, jacket, boots, thick socks, protectors
for ears and everywhere else that hot weld gets to when you least expect it.
My MIG has saved me a fortune in exhaust parts over the past few years,
rewelding cracked seams and patches is a doddle, but I still can't do
exterior bodywork too well though! (and it looks so easy in Practical
Classics).
My garage socket is 15 amp too, no problems so far (touch wood veneer).

Paul
Part welded '81 reg 1500.