Re: alternator p/n

To: njaremka@yahoo.com, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: alternator p/n
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:50:40 EDT
In a message dated 6/22/99 8:21:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
njaremka@yahoo.com writes:

> this goes out to all those on the list that have changed thier
>  car over to a GM style alternator.  i went to the auto parts
>  store yesterday, and the part counter guy was a complete ass and
>  wouldn't help me out.  but, that's grounds for a completly
>  different thread.  my queston is this: what alternator part
>  number did you use, and what else did you need to
>  accomidate(sp?) it into your car?
>
>  like i said, i went to the parts store yesterday to see if i
>  could get some help in finding an alternator that i could easily
>  fit into my car.  well i told the guy at the counter what i
>  wanted to do and he blatanly told me "i don't want to help you
>  with this problem."  well, that's going to be the last time i go
>  there for anything.  now i'm going to have to find another place
>  to buy parts.
>
>  so, i looked around for a part number on one of the conversion
>  guides and couldn't find one.  at that, i'm opening it up to you
>  guys to help me out.  anyone?

Nikolai,

The part number you need is most likely 7127. I say most likely because all
three that I have, bought from different auto stores, have 7127 somewhere in
the part number. The clerk at the last store where I bought one was new, and
asked one of the oldtimers for help, and the oldtimer replied, "oh, yeah,
that'd be a 7127."  I understand from other folks on the list that there are
other model numbers for the same unit, but I'd give 7127 a try.

However, there is a wide variety of alternator model 7127s available. The
differences are in the location of the wiring terminals, the size of the
pulley, and the amp rating. You can rotate the case to put the terminals
where you want them, and you can change the pulley, but you're stuck with the
amp rating. I suggest you go to a different dealer till you find one where
they are helpful, one where they will go through the boxes to get the closest
match for you.

I don't understand the guy's problem, because this is a routine request for
these guys, as the street rod/hot rod crowd does this all the time.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

                    http://members.aol.com/danmas/
'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74