Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:29:40 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/99 8:17:07 AM EST, clmautz@yahoo.com writes:

> Classic double-clutch down shift, compression braking, is what I use.
>  Lots of people tell me I should just use the brakes and clutch to slow
>  the car, clutch in, brakes on.  The car get's wobbly that way, and it
>  upsets the suspension, especially on a quick turn coming up to a stop
>  sign.  Learned it while autox'ing years ago, and still use it, even in
>  my Jeep.
If it's true that braking while cornering will upset the suspension (weight
transfer forward, tire grip split between cornering and slowing, tail steps
out), then engine braking only will do the same only worse since now the rear
tires are being asked to do all the stopping all by their li'l ol' lonesomes.
Trailing throttle oversteer I believe they call it.  If you're using engine
braking because it's more stable than "brake braking", I would suspect your
brakes may be misadjusted.  If you're using engine braking because
it's more fun and it sounds cool, I'm with you! :)

-Greg