Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com>
Subject: Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:46:28 -0600
Eric,
Here's my "Opinions" (Not that they count for much)

"Eric A. Yates" wrote:

> Okay, I've been following this thread carefully trying to find out if my
> driving habits are rough on my car. Can someone please review (without
> reopening debate) what seems to be the general list consensus on these issues:
>
> 1. Starting with car in neutral, clutch pedal out: good/bad/no difference?
> I usually do it this way. It seems most listers think it's either a good
> habit or doesn't matter.

Probably a good idea.

> 2. Sitting at traffic lights in neutral, clutch pedal out: good/bad/no
> difference? I often wait at red lights with my car in gear and the clutch
> pedal to the floor. No idea what the vote is on this one.

Probably not the best idea, but likely the most often used procedure (I
do it too).

> And here's another couple questions I was wondering about:
>
> 3. Coming to a near-complete stop at a stop sign and pulling away in 2nd
> gear. Good/bad/no difference? I have to admit I do this often too.

Bad idea, especially if it causes the engine to lug, and especially if
there is a cop watching from behind a hedge!!

> 4. The only manual shift vehicles I had ever driven before getting my
> Spitfire were motorcycles. My clutch habits come from that training I
> guess. When I want to slow down in my Spit, the first thing I do is depress
> the clutch pedal (as well as letting off the gas of course). Then I brake
> and downshift. This sounds like such a dumb question, but is this the
> normal procedure? If so, is it good/bad/no difference? I imagine the only
> alternative is to let off the throttle and let the engine do some "braking"
> before downshifting. Seems to me that would result in increased wear on the
> mechanicals. Thoughts?

I tend to let the engine do a lot of the deceleration when coming to a
stop.  I watch the revs to ensure against over-revving the engine, but I
feel that it saves on the brakes and doesn't really hurt the engine
(Flames anyone?)

Regards,
Joe

 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer