Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Ted Schumacher <tedtsimx@q1.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 19:29:28 -0400
Joe Curry wrote:

> Leave it to Ted Schumacher to come up with, "A Better Idea".  Good Work,
> Ted, now everybody can steal your idea.  Did you patent the process?
> This could start another round of "Litigation Messages"
>
> Joe
>
> Ted Schumacher wrote:
>
> > joe, i think everyone is missing the point.  if the engine is rebuilt
> > correctly with the end float tolerance at the tight end (.004") it won't
> > make a lot of difference. the engine does turn over easier with the
> > clutch in since it takes lass effort to overcome the clutch drag than it
> > does to oevercome the drag from the 90 weight gear oil.  the secret to
> > the thrust washer problem on this engine family - which also includes
> > tr6 - is to pin the thrust washers to the block.  this is done with
> > brass pins - we use .100" diameter brass rod - and drill through the t/w
> > into the block.  since the brass is softer than the t/w material, as the
> > surface startws towear. the brass does not hurt the thrust surface of
> > the crank.  some extra work, but our engines, both street and race,
> > don't lose t/w's.  ted
> > --
> > Ted Schumacher
> > TS Imported Automotive
> > 404 Basinger Rd.
> > Pandora, Ohio, USA 45877
> > Ph. 800/543-6648  USA/Canada  FAX 419/384-3272 24 hour
> > Ph. 419/384-3022 - tech./general information
> > Web page http://www.tsimportedautomotive.com
> > New-Used-Rebuilt-NOS-Performance British car parts.
> > 200 - 300 parts cars in our British-only salvage yard.
>
> --
> "If you can't excel with talent, triumph with effort."
>  -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer
oh no, not another one of those.  we have done this process since the
eaarly 1970's so maybe i can be "grandfathered: into a protected status.
we do have a patented gear reduction starter.  this is jsut like finding
a good restaurant.  then everybody finds it and screws up the whole
thing. thanks, ted