Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Review! Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:06:52 -0700 (PDT)
--- "Eric A. Yates" <eyates@enteract.com> wrote:

> Hi Chip,
>
> >Classic double-clutch down shift, compression braking, is what I
> use.
>
> What do you mean by "double clutch" down shift?

Double clutching is where you clutch, pull the gearshift out, rev up
the engine to where the rpm's need to be for the lower gear, and then
clutch again and put the stick back in.  With practice, you can do it
fast, and only hear a 'blip' if standing outside the car.

It's great, as it puts little stress on the drivetrain (the engine is
spinning at the desired rpm for that gear - it doesn't have to jump to
catch up to the new speed needed), and makes for a smooth transition.

Also, clutching twice give you double the chance for the syncro's to
line up correctly, and a smooth snick can be heard while shifting.

I do it because my M/C leaks, and i have to build pressure, but <ahem>
that's another story.  ;-)

Chip

===
"I've got a PBS mind in an MTV world..." - Jimmy Buffett