Re: O/D use

To: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Subject: Re: O/D use
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:26:39 -0600

Dean Dashwood wrote:

> Joe - you use 3rd with overdrive at 40-50?  I occasionally use it for
> cruising at about 30.  At 35-40 I use 4th, and at anything over 40 I use
> 4th with overdrive.  That'll give me around the 2000 revs mark -
> perfectly ok for cruising along, although obviously requiring a
> down-shift (or switching out the overdrive) before acceleration.
>
> Does my 1500 have different ratios to your earlier car?  Or do we just
> have different driving styles?

I have a 1500 with a MkIV D-type OD tranny.  My differential is a 3.89
from a 1500 and I have 175-70sr13 tires.  I don't know how much of a
difference that all makes, but I like to have the tach a bit higher than
2000 rpms.  The engines were designed to develop their power at higher
revs.

> I find that trying to use the overdrive to give a 6-speed gearbox is too
> cumbersome - 3rd, 3rd with overdrive and 4th are all close enough
> together that you have to change at intervals that are too close to be
> comfortable.  So I only use 3rd with overdrive for cruising, never for
> accelerating.

Same here.

> As for the method for selecting overdrive, I generally tend to just
> flick the switch.  It's probably better to ease off the gas slightly,
> otherwise you're going to get different signals coming from the engine
> and the road wheels, and that's got to put some strain on something!
> But I ignore my own advice and engage it at full throttle.

I still find myself forgetting that it is engaged and when I come to a
light and start off through the gears again, I remember when I shift to
third and the OD kicks in.  I then must disengage it and continue
shifting.

Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer