RE: Power Brakes

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Power Brakes
From: Dean Dashwood <DDashwood@softwright.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 09:04:12 +0100
John,

I wouldn't have thought this is necessary on a Spitfire.  The servo
basically uses the depression from the inlet manifold to amplify the
pressure you apply to the brake pedal (I think!)

If you have a car with a servo fitted, accelerate to about 30mph on a
quiet road, kill the engine, then try to stop, and you'll notice that
you have to work the brake pedal *much* harder.  Now, think about how
much ligher the brakes are with the engine running than without, and
imagine your Spitfire brakes lightened by a similar order of magnitude -
you'd barely have to touch the pedal and you'd be locking up wheels.

Dean