Re: Oil pan gasket, and misc.

To: "Bowley, Glenn (GC CT)" <glenn.bowley@gerbercoburn.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pan gasket, and misc.
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 07:30:31 -0600

"Bowley, Glenn (GC CT)" wrote:

> Hi all-
> I was wondering If anyone knew if it was possible to replace the oil pan
> gasket on my 1975 1500 with the motor in the car. Are there any special
> techniques, rotation of the crank, loosening of the motor mounts to jack-up
> the engine, etc. I was trying to curtail the oil seepage around the pan
> gasket yesterday after finding a few of the bolts loose, but tightening them
> didn't do the trick, now I'm going to do it the right way!
> I guess I had better check the thrust washer situation while I'm in there!

Glenn,
You can indeed replace the gasket with the engine in place.  The real
trick is having to rotate the crank so the rod journals are all sideways
in the block.  With piston 1 down, the pan will not clear the journal.
Other than that it's a cake walk.  (What exactly does that expression
mean, anyway?)

> Second question is, has anyone ever tried to change the differential oil? I
> didn't see a drain plug on the bottom of the unit to let the old stuff out.
> You must have to use an oil suction gun to get the old oil out?

You can do that or drop the diff and drain it out the filler hole.
Otherwise, you can remove the gear assembly and drain it that way.  But
that option will require removal of the output shafts.  Anyway you go,
it is not a simple process.  So the suction route is probably the best
method if you can do it.

> Final question ( I promise!), does anybody have a preferred supplier for a
> replacement heater valve? I've seen a lot of talk about inferior quality of
> replacement heater valves. I was even contemplating putting a valve on from
> a Japanese car (GASP!), as these are made out of plastic and seem to last
> forever.

I rebuilt my own with parts that I scrounged from several I had laying
around.  It was a real experience figuring out how to get it apart and
back together with no leaks.

Regards,
Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer