Re: Plastic Engine Valences?

To: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine),
Subject: Re: Plastic Engine Valences?
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 21:34:32 -0400
At 10:27 AM 6/2/99 -0700, Laura G wrote:

>I've had 3 spits and just saw my first valances this past weekend. How does
>one check the oil? WHat is their function in life? Do I really need them?
>(Like one needs bread and water or like one needs chocolate?)

Laura,

The front valences (surrounding the radiator) serve to direct cooling air
flow towards the radiator...and they really do make a difference in the
efficiency of the cooling system.

The side valences surely just prevent water from splashing into the engine
compartment, onto pesky electrical things like the alternator or
distributor. They also support the wire harnessing and some of the
emissions piping.

Given the extreme force of rushing water I'm sure the notoriously cheap
Triumph designers thought the valences were worth the expense.  But then,
they were not in sunny California like you.   So who needs 'em?

As far as checking the oil, once your eyes adjust to the darkness below,
it's not so difficult to find where the dipstick goes...   8-)

PS I'll take the Chocolate over the bread & water myself!

Atwell "Sweet Tooth" Haines
'79 Spitfire (fully valenced)
Succasunna, NJ USA

"When someone asks you, "A penny for your thoughts," and you put your two
cents in, what happens to the other penny?"