Re: Transmission

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: Chip Mautz <clmautz@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 06:16:03 -0700 (PDT)
--- John Suchak <suchak@mediaone.net> wrote:
> As an old aircooled VW enthusiast I have driven home several times
> after
> losing the clutch cable by dry shifting.  (Actually I used to dry
> shift
> those cars alot, come to think of it!)  At stop signs I'd just try to
> crawl at idle in first, or if I *had* to stop I'd  just shut it off.
> When it was time to go again I'd just start it in first.  Works like
> charm, albeit a bit hard on the starter motor.

I did this for 2 weeks straight, after returning from a 6 hour trip in
my old '90 Jeep Wrangler.  Came to a stop after highway driving, and no
clutch.  Damn!  Well, I'd read recently of a Road & Track author who
took a Saab 900 (new, at the time) up to Vermont, lost his clutch, and
proceeded to spend the rest of his weekend (and, the magazine review, I
might add) driving the car sans clutch.  Just match the revs, and you
can shift up no problem.  If you're really good, you can shift down,
too.

I played this way for two weeks, until a nice day came along, and my
wife decided to take the Jeep to the mall.  She wasn't as big a fan as
I was of the Jeep's condition, and made me get it fixed.

It was a big boost of confidence to know that you could still make it
home w/o the hydraulics.

Cheers

Chip
fulltime auto enthusiast, fulltime weatherman (have to be w/ two
convertibles)

Chip Mautz
Dacula, Ga, USA
'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport - the new Jeep