Re: Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 12:56:56 -0400
Padded washers are there on the bottom of the rivit to prevent body rubbing
and wear when the plate is bolted down.

 On my replacement hood, the 2 short pieces that are *supposed* to be
caught by the doors aren't long enough nor far enough forward to reach so
they just flap in the breeze.

At 12:37 PM 5/18/99 -0400, Andrew Mace wrote:

>On Tue, 18 May 1999, Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou wrote:
>
>> ...new...top for my Mk IV...
>> On each side, near the bottom front corner of the corner window,
>> next to the snap that snaps to the body just behind the door, there
>> is a little vinyl flap about 3 inches long.  On my current top,
>> it has a snap installed at the end, but there is nothing on the body
>> for it to snap to.  In my factory parts book, this flap also
>> appears, but without a snap on it.
>>
>> Does anyone know what this darn thing is for?  It seems to have no
>> purpose, and only gets caught between the top and the glass window.
>
>Actually, it should get caught between the door and the "B" (latch) post.
>I think that IS its purpose. :-)  There should not be a snap on the flap.
>(Sounds a bit like Dr. Seuss, doesn't it?)
>
>> Also, what is the correct way to attach the top to the black metal rail
>> that runs across the back?  On my current top, they simply
>> tucked the tail end of the top under this rail, between it and the body.
>> The parts book shows the top being riveted to the rail, but it is not
>> clear if the end ot the top material (a flap about 1 or 2 inches wide)
>> is supposed to be tucked under the rail, or over it.  The parts book
>> also shows some sort of padding washer (part #622445) under the rivet,
>> but it is not clear exactly where it goes or what it is for.
>
>Three rivets hold the top to that rail. Those rivet also hold three SNAPS
>to the top; I believe that's what you're thinking of when you say padding
>washer. The original boot cover and tonneau cover use those snaps.
>
>The flap should go under the rail and can be further fastened to the
>underside with contact cement if desired. It's not absolutely necessary to
>do so, but sometimes it helps. (The rivets -- and snap bases -- are used
>to fasten the top to the rail, but there's no need to try also to catch
>that "flap" with the rivets.)
>
>I can "coach" you through other steps in the process if you like. Let me
>know. Been there, done that....
>
>--Andy

>* Andrew Mace, President and                *
>*   10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant *
>* Vintage Triumph Register <www.vtr.org>    *
>* amace@unix2.nysed.gov                     *

Kirby T. Kenyon
ktkenyon@notnow.com