Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Arcane pedantic question about Spit convertible top
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougbert@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 11:03:54 -0500
Hello,

I have a new Robbins top for my Mk IV that I'm planning
to install sometime soon, but I am confused about one
little thing:

On each side, near the bottom front corner of the corner window,
next to the snap that snaps to the body just behind the door, there
is a little vinyl flap about 3 inches long.  On my current top,
it has a snap installed at the end, but there is nothing on the body
for it to snap to.  In my factory parts book, this flap also
appears, but without a snap on it.

Does anyone know what this darn thing is for?  It
seems to have no purpose, and only gets
caught between the top and the glass window.

Also, what is the correct way to attach the top to the black metal rail
that runs across the back?  On my current top, they simply
tucked the tail end of the top under this rail, between it and the body.
The parts book shows the top being riveted to the rail, but it is not
clear if the end ot the top material (a flap about 1 or 2 inches wide)
is supposed to be tucked under the rail, or over it.  The parts book
also shows some sort of padding washer (part #622445) under the rivet,
but it is not clear exactly where it goes or what it is for.

All of the rivets, snaps, etc. used for fitting the top are cheap and eay to
get,
so I fugure that there is no excuse not to install it correctly.

Thanks a lot,

Doug Braun
'72 Spit