Re: Gas tank "blues"

To: Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gas tank "blues"
From: "Kirby T. Kenyon" <ktkenyon@borg.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 13:00:41 -0400
I had this problem with an old VW pickup truck.  Excessive vacuum caused
the bottom to suck up and cracked the sides where some internal fuel
injection distribution ports ended.  Bottom line was that I could never get
that tank to stop leaking (but at least it was below the body, not inside).
 I would try to find another tank.

At 09:34 AM 5/18/99 -0700, Simmons, Reid W wrote:

>Well, the talk lately about draining gas tanks inspired me to pull the
>panels off and get ready to remove mine for cleaning, etc. (as if I didn't
>already have enough Spitfire projects going on at one time).  Well, my first
>"thoughts and comments" I can't print here because there might be ladies, or
>children reading this, so we'll go with my second set of thoughts and
>comments: "AAARRGGHH!!!!!!!"  My gas tank had collapsed in on itself, (see
>almost any text on black hole theory for an explanation).  Apparently those
>years of the tank not venting properly and vacuums building up had caused
>the front and back to cave in.  That WOULD explain why it would only take
>about 5.5 gallons for a fill-up; and why the fuel gauge would not go below ½
>because the float was resting on the caved in side.  So, has anyone had to
>deal with this situation?  How might I "pop" the sides back out?  Or, if
>this cannot be done, does anyone have a tank for sale?
>
>Who would have thought those little British Leyland mechanical fuel pumps
>were SO POWERFULL!!.  I would have much rather had the fuel pump "Implode"!
>Those are a lot easier to replace.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Reid
>'79 Spitfire (with a 25% smaller stomach than most)

Kirby T. Kenyon
ktkenyon@notnow.com