Re: Overdrive drive shaft

To: Dave Chu <dave@ece.concordia.ca>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Overdrive drive shaft
From: Eric Kieboom <ekieboom@xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 08:26:31 +0200

At 22:01 17-5-1999 -0400, Dave Chu wrote:

>The car is a 78 with overdrive.  The drive shaft has an U-joint at the diff.
>end and the other end has something like a cover with some rubber dust cover
>on the inside.  Does anyone know if there is an U-joint under the dust cover?
>If there is one how do one get access to it without destroying the rubber
>dust cover?
>
>The expose U-joint looks and feel fine with no play at all.  I guess there
>was enought oil leaking out of the diff. to keep it lubricated ;).

You have what BL called a 'frictionless pot joint' at the front of your
shaft. I believe they're generally called C/V ("constant velocity") joints.
Compared to U/J's, they hardly wear. If the balance of the shaft is fine
(ie. your car is not a rolling vibrator at speed), just leave it alone.

Eric Kieboom
The Netherlands
1976 Spit 1500 - original Java Green
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ekieboom/spit/spit.html