Strange charging issue... but I may already be a winner.

To: "spitfires@Autox. Team. Net" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Strange charging issue... but I may already be a winner.
From: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 04:38:33 -0400
My 1980 Spit has had charging trouble since its purchase last fall.
Generally, the car won't make it over about 3 hours of daylight driving,
less if at night (surprise)

At Carlisle this weekend I was able to find a 2" volt gauge that appears to
give me the information I need... but I'd like your opinions.

As per another lister's comment, I just got the Wal-Mart special $20
mechanical gauges (temp sender fits great, amps was a pain to wire, haven't
done the oil pressure yet) They will be permanently located in the radio
blanking plate as soon as I can find one (hint, hint!!)

This gave me the temp gauge hole to hook up the VW voltmeter. I used the
Temp gauge's old ground, and set about figuring where to hook up the
positive.

With the key off, I get
        13v at the battery
        13v at the alternator center (big brown) wire
        0v at the other alternator connections.
This makes sense, because I traced the (big brown) wire to the starter
relay, where it's tied to the battery + lead.

With the car running, it gets weird. I get <8 to 12v in a flutter, probably
averaging 7-10v It rarely hits 12v at all. The ammeter shows a constant, but
small draw, until the lights are turned on.

The battery and alternator have both been bench tested. The only thing I can
think of is (maybe...) the ballast resistor. I do have a small aluminum
thing with one lead that's attached to the alternator. It's probably 1"
square, with a 1" x1/2" x1/2" finned blob and the rest is the mounting lug.
It was removed for the alternator testing.

Does the 1980 Spitfire use a ballast resistor? I have the "warranty
replacement" electronic ignition, apparently this was a factory recall.

I have an unidentifiable coil (came with the car), but have a Lucas 40Kv
Sport coil available. What would it take to install the Sport coil? Is there
any wiring change I need to do?

Last of all, I would appreciate a prompt reply: I'm going 3 1/2 hours to the
Richmond Triumph Register (VA) show this weekend. Weather permitting, I want
to bring the Spitfire!

Gregory W. Smith      http://www.cvn.net/~gsmith
Member, Central Pennsylvania Triumph Club
1980 Spitfire 1500 "for the wife" :)
1980 TR7 Spider v8 (in progress)
1980 TR7 30th Anniversary Edition (deceased)